Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Sunday of Lent: Gospel Reading: Mathew 4:1-11



I Sunday of Lent (A) – March 9, 2014

Gospel reading: Mathew 4:1-11

 Fr. Charles Johnson, O.P.

          From his hospital bed, just days before his death, Fr. Philip Lamberty, OP, held court with visitors.  His bodily pain could not hold back his smile and sense of joie de vivre. His laughter gave way to a heartfelt moment as he shared his gratitude for a God-filled life: 

“I’ve been so impressed by the sincerity and authenticity of people’s prayer and I am in awe of that.  Why shouldn’t I be impressed by something that is so beautiful?  And if I’m impressed, then Jesus, whose standards are much lower than mine, would be tickled and delighted. ….”

         At first I thought, “Jesus has low standards?”  However, I didn’t take much time to correct myself as I reflected, “Thank God, how wonderful the low standards of Jesus.  For, it makes possible his reaching down below you and me and lifting us up.” As I reminisce about Fr. Philip, I’m so thankful for his humorous wisdom.  I never encountered him disconnected from the struggles of life, nor did I ever see him without joy – kind of like Jesus. 
          In today’s Gospel reading, we hear about Jesus living in connection with the struggles of life as he is tempted in the desert.  It’s a moment Pope emeritus Benedict XVI characterizes as the Lord’s “descent into the perils that beset humanity.”   A moment in which the standards of Jesus took him so low to the point of mixing it up with likes of Satan, the father of lies himself.  I’ve said it many times before, but it still makes me wonder; that the life and mission of Jesus was a continual descent into our human condition and struggle.  We can call it the “downward mobility” or low standards of Jesus. 
      We do well to remember that it not only was, but is, a continual descent into the perils and struggles that beset us.  In that, Jesus lowers his standards by lowering himself to be with us.  Yes, he lowers his standards, but he never weakens them.  Lest we forget, his standard is love. 
         Back in the season of Advent and Christmas, the keyword about Christ is Emmanuel, God with us.  At the same time, the good Lord reminds us today and always, “I’m with you.” Might our lesson this Lent be to learn just how Christ is with us.  When that happens, our standards will be raised and redeemed. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment