Friday, August 15, 2014

Hello Tulane - Again!

Hello Tulane!  ... again! It's with a lot of excitement that I write those words.  Eight years ago I graduated from Tulane (Architecture, '06)--as many of you already know.  So, arriving at Tulane's campus is not something altogether unfamiliar--even though much has changed since.  For many arriving to Tulane this August, the world they discover will be strange, new... exciting, disorienting.  For me, everything has a familiar but rather strange feel to it, because I'm not who I was when I left: I am now an ordained priest, and also hopefully at least a little more mature.  I am, thanks be to God, a friar of the Order of Preachers.

Seven years ago I let go of architecture--something I had dreamed of since childhood--and followed the call of Christ to be a priest.  Oddly enough, as I now arrive at Tulane, I am taking on a building project.  Sure, I'm not the architect for the new Catholic Center, but following through on this great effort which began many years ago has now become my responsibility.  Never let anyone tell you that God does not have a plan!

So, here's the thing.  God does have a plan. We've heard this so many times, but it's only when we are invited by him to acknowledge this reality in concrete circumstances that it begins to matter for us.  Our first step in recognizing this plan is to see that it is not imposed on us, nor is it  superimposed on our own plans.  We are most often unaware of the deeper stirrings of God within us and only from time to time do we become aware of what he is accomplishing.  When Dominican friars profess vows their 'yes' is acknowledged in the words of their superior: "May God, who has begun this good work in you, bring it to completion."  Usually we think of these kinds of decisions as the result of a process initiated by the inquirer: "Do I have a vocation?"  Yet, He began it before we knew to even ask.  So He will complete it.

There is nothing more exciting, nothing more beautiful, nothing happier than to choose obedience to one whom we have come to trust. The many great works that are coming to fruition around us at the Catholic Center are the result of  years, even  decades of planning.  But they never would have begun had God not summoned us and those who have gone before us... they certainly never would have come to this point had God not followed through on his promise.  The same is being accomplished in our own lives, especially those of you who are students.  A great work is being done in you through your education and your human formation!  Allow it to be done!  Do whatever you must to let this happen! He will bring it to fruition in due time.

–Fr. Thomas

0 comments:

Post a Comment